Performance smoothie recipes: boost your workout and meet your goals with delicious and nutritious drinks
It’s the breakfast that’s nutritious, delicious, convenient and oh-so-trendy – but did you know that smoothies can be catered to maximise your efficiency in reaching your fitness goals, too? The nutrition you put into your body is ultimately what dictates your output. So it stands to reason that quality fuel – and more importantly, the correct nutrients – will lead to quality results.
The right smoothie for the type of exercise you’re doing can provide you with energy, encourage fat burning, increase protein synthesis (that builds muscle), level up your endurance or give you the hydration you need for a long, sweaty workout. The Trojan team got together and shared our fave goal-focused smoothie recipes (and the piece of Trojan equipment we feel they work best with), so you can max out your mornings and sip on that liquid motivation on the go!
Firstly, what are the fitness benefits of smoothies?
An expertly crafted breakfast or pre-workout smoothie (the only sort we want to be drinking) contains a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are essential for maintaining a healthy body. These wellness elixirs have a number of benefits when made with the right balance of ingredients:
- They’re nutrient-dense: Smoothies can be a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which are essential for maintaining good health and fitness. They are an easy way to pack a lot of nutrition into a single meal or snack and pack that snack to go. Imagine having to take a pineapple, 4 teaspoons of chia seeds, a banana and a whole jar of peanut butter to work with you every day. No thanks!
- They give you a hydration boost: Smoothies can help you stay hydrated, which is essential for daily peak performance. Some of our favourite smoothies contain fruits and veggies that have high water content, such as cucumber and watermelon. Most smoothies can also be topped up with ice and other liquids like fruit juice, water and plant milks if you’re feeling extra parched.
- They can escalate your energy: Smoothies can provide a quick energy boost, making them a great pre- or post-workout snack. This can be through the kilojoules they provide you, or the additional energising nootropics like caffeine powders. They can be a good source of immediately accessible carbohydrates, too, that are essential for fueling your body during exercise.
- They’re easy to digest: Smoothies, especially those that contain a lot of veggies, can be a good source of fibre, which can help improve digestion and keep you feeling full. This can be helpful for weight management and overall health. It’s also easier for your body to quickly digest liquids, so chugging a smoothie before a workout instead of eating a solid meal means you’re less likely to feel queasy during an intense session from having a full stomach.
- Smoothies can aid muscle recovery: Smoothies can be a good source of protein, that is important for muscle recovery after exercise – the key to making gains! Adding protein powder, yoghurt, or nut butter to your smoothie can help you recover more quickly and build muscle. Plus, most sources of protein used in smoothies taste great, which is a bonus! If your protein source is very high in fat or sugar, make sure you stay mindful about the amount you add to your drink, especially if you’re monitoring your caloric intake.
If you want to bulk up and grow muscle…
Try this peanut butter and banana smoothie for bulking.
250ml low-fat milk
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 scoops of whey protein powder
Why it works: Protein powder, chia seeds, peanut butter and low-fat milk are all sources of protein, which works to repair your torn muscle fibres after lifting and makes your muscles bigger and stronger.
Use with: The Trojan 15kg weight plate set [ https://trojanhealth.co.za/product/15kg-weight-plate-set/ ]
If you’re working on burning fat…
Try this green tea smoothie for fat loss.
1 cup spinach
2 tbsp fresh mint
1 stalk celery chopped
½ cup brewed green tea cooled
½ grapefruit peeled and seeded
1 cup pineapple frozen
Why it works: Green tea contains caffeine and a type of flavonoid called catechin, which is an antioxidant. Research suggests that both of these compounds can speed up your metabolism. The other ingredients are flavourful but low in calories, and the avo provides good fats for energy.
Use with: The Trojan TR1200 Treadmill [Product: https://trojanhealth.co.za/product/trojan-tr1200-treadmill/ ]
If you’ve had a tough session and want to speed up recovery…
Try this maca and spinach-boosted smoothie for tissue repair.
3/4 cup raw coconut water
1/2 cup fresh pineapple
1 small or 1/2 cup frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup spinach
1 teaspoon maca powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Why it works: Studies have shown that drinking maca after a workout can reduce muscle soreness by up to 48%. This is because it contains a chemical that helps the immune system reduce inflammation in muscles from oxidative stress during exercises by lowering the levels of lactic acid released.
Use with: The Trojan 4-in-1 Massage Set [product: https://trojanhealth.co.za/product/4-in-1-massage-set/ ]
If you’re following a training program and want to fight off the possibility of the flu…
Try this citrus smoothie for immune boosting.
1 tsp ginger
1 cup orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup plain yoghurt
Why it works: These spices contain antioxidants which protect your immune cells from harmful substances in the environment called free radicals. The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help lower your risk of disease, too.
Use with: The Trojan Yoga and Pilates set [Product: https://trojanhealth.co.za/product/yoga-pilates-set/ ]
If you’re an endurance athlete looking for slow-release energy…
Try this beet-boosted smoothie to enhance your blood flow and keep you full.
1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk or 2% fat milk
1 cooked beet, chopped
½ cup frozen blueberries
½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
1–2 tsp. honey
1 scoop protein powder of choice (optional)
Why it works: Beet juice has been shown to help improve stamina for endurance training sessions. This could be the result of increased blood flow, allowing for greater oxygen delivery to your muscles thanks to the nitrates found naturally in beets.
Use with: The Trojan Pursuit 360 Exercise Bike [Product: https://trojanhealth.co.za/product/pursuit-360/]
Are you ready to fuel your fitness journey with performance smoothies yet?
Because we definitely are! We’re going to be blending up a storm, mixing and matching the beneficial ingredients that help us fuel our potential. There are endless possibilities for what you can add to a smoothie, so you can create your very own blend that suits your needs and tastes precisely (and then share it with us on our socials so we can try it too! We can’t wait to see what you come up with!)
Unfortunately though, you can’t JUST sip your way to fitness. You need to put in the work to move your body, too. Thankfully, when you build a home gym setup using Trojan Health and Fitness Equipment, working out is just as convenient as popping a few ingredients in a blender and pushing a button. Live your best, most holistic life by combining a great diet with frequent movement. Trojan equipment blends durability with affordability to make that possibility even more feasible than you might think!